Volunteers, Riders, and Horses
- Benefits CARD by helping to teach safe, therapeutically beneficial classes.
- Benefits the Assistant Instructor (AI) through continuing education, increased knowledge, certification opportunities, the satisfaction of helping others, and socialization opportunities.
- Benefits CARD and the AI by freeing up the Instructor for other tasks.
- Benefits CARD by increasing the number of trained instructors, and the ratio of individualized attention the riders receive.
- Working towards CanTRA Instructor Certification
- Must attend 75% of the scheduled meetings per year.
- Must have volunteered at CARD for a minimum of 6 terms (summer optional).
- Previous teaching or horse experience
- Responsible, punctual, good interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, good organizational skills, understanding of disabilities, willingness to achieve certification if not currently certified
- Knowledge of the CARD policies and procedures .
- Depending on the time slot the AI commits to, their weekly teaching commitment may be 1-2 hrs., as well as overseeing the volunteers before and after class(es).
- They are expected to arrive 15-20mins before their volunteer team members to update their class list and be ready to go. They are generally the last team member to leave, ensuring everyone is signed out.
- Additionally, the AI will spend time before the term reviewing files and preparing the class list, and will also spend approximately 1 hr./week lesson planning.
- CARD supplies a great deal of training, time, and expertise in the training of AI/I team members. In return, it is expected that AIs will teach at CARD for a minimum of one year, once fully trained.
- To be familiar with and knowledgeable about the riders assigned for the term.
- Aid in developing and implementing a lesson plan for the term of classes assigned
- To provide support and encouragement to the volunteers as needed.
- Assist with mounting riders
- Lead group exercises to warm up riders
- Work with individual riders as needed in accordance with the lesson plan
- Assist with dismounting riders
- Review the lesson plan with the instructor