Director of Therapeutic Riding Services/ Director of Volunteer Services
Volunteers, Riders, and Horses
- EC Rider level 5 or equivalent
- Working towards CanTRA Instructor certification
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Must attend a minimum 75% of scheduled meetings per year
- Previous teaching or horse experience
- Responsible, punctual, good interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, good organizational skills
- Understanding of disabilities or previous experience within the special needs field
- Willingness to achieve certification if not currently certified
- Knowledge of the CARD policies and procedures
- Depending on the time slot the AI commits to, their weekly teaching commitment may be 1-2 hrs., as well as overseeing the volunteers before and after class(es).
- They are expected to arrive 15-20mins before their volunteer team members to update their class list and be ready to go. They are generally the last team member to leave, ensuring everyone is signed out.
- Additionally, the AI will spend time before the term reviewing files and preparing the class list, and will also spend approximately 1 hr./week lesson planning.
- CARD supplies a great deal of training, time, and expertise in the training of AI/I team members. In return, it is expected that AIs will teach at CARD for a minimum of one year, once fully trained.
- To be familiar with, and knowledgeable about, the riders assigned for the term
- To develop and implement a term Progression Plan for the assigned classes
- To provide support, encouragement and on-going training to the volunteers as needed
- Perform mounting and dismounting of riders, including training and supervision of assistant personnel
- Conduct safe, productive, and progressive lessons in line with the riders’ abilities and goals, CARD Mission Statement, and CanTRA standards
- Review and revise lesson plans as needed
- Complete Rider Progress reports each term, discuss them with the client/family and ensure copies are placed in the rider’s file
- Coordinate with the Director of Therapeutic Riding Services and the Director of Volunteer Services to ensure the needs of the class are met
If you are interested in becoming an Instructor, please contact CARD for more information.