Program & Riders
- Operate year-round at CARD’s facility in G. Ross Lord Park
- Run 6 days a week
- Are organized into Fall, Winter & Spring sessions which are 9-11 weeks long
- Also run in the Summer, in one week blocks throughout July and August
- Are 45-60 mins long, depending on class type
- Are conducted by certified Therapeutic Riding Instructors
- Are limited to 4 riders per group to maximize individual attention while still providing a social group experience
All clients are assessed by CARD staff prior to program placement. The cost of assessment is $100. Once the client is assessed, they are placed into the appropriate class type. Click here for New rider package
Did you know?
- All riders are assessed by the CARD staff prior to entering the program to ensure appropriate program fit
- There is no age restriction for CARD riders – riders can be as young as 4 years of age
- There is a weight restriction of 160 lbs for riders with no physical impairments. Riders with balance or motor control challenges will be assessed on a case-by-case basis for participation in mounted programs.
- The cost to maintain one therapy horse for a year (including maintenance, veterinary and farrier expenses, equipment, food) is approximately $9000
- The cost for one rider to participate in a term is more than $1500
- Each rider pays $570 – $870 per session – CARD fund-raises to subsidize the remaining funds